Thursday, April 16, 2015

Bright Stars Quilt

A while back I bought 2 packs of rainbow-colored charm squares from a seller on eBay.  I love the colors and the listing said they were all dye cut.  Howver, the "pinking" (zig zags) on the sides of the squares were so deep (1/4" in some cases) that I ended up cutting them all down from 5" to 4.5" before using them.  Frustrating!
 
 
Anyway.... I took my inspiration for this quilt from this one on Leslie Unfinished. I didn't have a true plan in mind, so I just made some 9-patch star blocks and added colorful blocks around it.  I didn't think the quilt was big enough, so I ended up adding 1 more column to each side and 2 more rows each to the bottom and the top.  (That's why the stars may not look "spread out" enough --- where they end was the original edges of the quilt.)
 
 
Added a few more borders to make it even bigger.  Finished size (after washing) measures 54.5" wide x 70" long.
 

 
I straight-line quilted with a walking foot horizontally across the colored squares, then around the middle section through the borders.  I fell in love with straight line quilting!!
 
 
I didn't have a recipient in mind while I was making this, but as soon as my sister-in-law saw it, she called "dibs" on it.  That was easy!
 


~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~
 
Thanks for stopping by!
~ Kat ~

4 comments:

  1. That turned out beautifully, Kat. It is such a happy quilt, but cutting down those squares was not so happy (I am sure).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful bright and happy quilt! I like the layout of your stars. No fun having to cut down charm squares. The quilt is so pretty, it was worth the extra labor, though ... happy sewing ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bright and totally lovely, but why do they pink the edges? You really didn't get full value there, but super colours. And a home for the quilt in a flash!! I am not amazed at all that it was snapped up as soon as s-in-l saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt Kat. I like that you added the extra star.......somehow balanced it more for me than the 4 stars. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~