Thursday, March 20, 2014

Paula's Purples

My mother-in-law's cousin (Paula) is turning 70 next month, and she is throwing herself a birthday bash.  Her favorite color is purple and her home is completely decorated in this color --- walls, furniture, everything.  She asked that in lieu of gifts, we make donations to It Gets Better (which we will definitely do), but how could I also not make her a quilt, right?
 
In my last post, I showed a picture of purple rectangles, which have now turned into this quilt top:
 
 
 
The main rectangles measure 9" x 6.5".  I used halves (4.5" x 6.5") on the ends, alternating the smaller piece on the left vs. right for each row.  This meant no seams to match up.  (In fact, I made the entire top without the use of a single pin.  Next to HSTs, pins are my greatest nemesis.)
 
For any other cousin, I would move straight to quilting and binding and call this one complete.  Paula, however, is not any other cousin :-).  Below is the cover of her birthday party invitiation.  That's her (minus her face) on the front.  Yup, she's 70!  When you're as much fun and full of life as Paula, your quilt needs to be more than "just" purple.
 

I've started adding a little more "pizzaz" to the quilt top, using colors, fabrics and techniques I don't typically use.  How much fun I am having with it!!  Quilting is in progress now... you'll have to stay tuned for the big reveal :-).


~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~
 
Thanks for stopping by!
~ Kat ~

2 comments:

  1. Kat, I can see that this quilt will be totally stunning with more additions and stitching to come, What a lady, 70, a milestone to celebrate for sure. And I can see why you are adding "embellishment galore" to the snazzy colours. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely the perfect quilt! enjoy the party!

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~