Friday, March 30, 2012

Rag Bag

Have you heard of a Swag Bag?  It's the goody bag full of overpriced fancy designer merchandise given to celebrities after red carpet events like the Oscars.  (The 2012 Oscars swag bag was valued at over $60,000... you can see what was in it here.)


My version isn't a Swag Bag, it's a Rag Bag.  And it has nothing to do with rags!  "Rag" is short for "Ragnar" -- which is a series of 200 mile running relays held all across the country.


This 1 minute video gives a good overview.  According to the Ragnar website:
Ragnar is the overnight running relay race that makes testing your limits a team sport. A team is made up of 6-12 individuals; each individual runs 3 legs. The legs of the race vary in difficulty and distance, from 2-11 miles, allowing elite and novice runners to run together. Over 2 days and 1 night, teams run across 200 miles of the country’s most scenic terrain. Pair that with crazy costumes, inside jokes, a great finish line party and unforgettable stories. Some call it a slumber party without sleep, pillows or deodorant. We call it Ragnar.
As a runner, I always seem to need more than sneakers.  There's my iPod, ear buds, phone, Garmin, protein bars, pre-race drinks, water, towels and a whole lot more.  I wanted to have a cute but durable bag to hold all of my running goodies.  I knew that Terri's Stuff Sack pattern would be perfect.




I chose denim fabric, since I run outside and this bag will spend a lot of time on pavement and grass.  I needed a dark, durable fabric.  I used pink as an accent to "girly it up" a little bit.  I struggled  with the piping, but I think that's because I used 1/4 inch cotton rope I found in my garage, rather than real piping cord.  It was a little too thick and stiff to sew around the circular base of the bag.  Next time, I'll definitely use the right materials!




I used Terri's measurements for the "large" stuff sack.  The circular base measures 8" across and my bag is about 10.5" high.


I added one pocket on the outside (complete with the Ragnar logo) and a row of pockets around the inside, to hold all my small items.  The main part of the bag will hold my water, small towel, reflective vest and lights (required for night running).  I also added a strap on the back for easy carrying, though I don't know that it was necessary and I'm not sure I'd add a strap the next time.




It's been a very long time (read: never) since I've made a project for myself, so I'm even more pleased to have tried this bag.  I think it's cute, it's incredibly practical and it's unique just for me.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Linking up with: 
Crazy Mom Quilts for  "Finish it Up Friday" 


I'm looking forward to seeing what you've worked on this week!





~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~

17 comments:

  1. it looks awesome! and how cool that you used Terri's pattern. sounds like it was a perfect match for your needs. hurray! :)

    thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat! This is so awesome! I love your interpretation. Great idea to use denim. Love the pink accents, making this so girly and fun. Thanks so much for sharing. You just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to make! I won't use 1/4 inch rope for the piping again, but I'll definitely be making more of these bags. I think they'll be great gifts for my daughters' little friends.

      Delete
  3. This is lovely. I just bought Terri's pattern and I'm eager to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went together pretty quickly and I'll definitely be making more of these in various sizes.

      Delete
  4. Great bag! Love the denim with the pink Ragnar logo is awesome. I haven't run in Ragnar, but have a number of friends that do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue - I ran the Ragnar Florida Keys (Miami to Key West) in January and I'll be running the Ragnar Adirondack (Saratoga Springs to Lake Placid, NY) in September. We have 3 spots left on our (all women) team if you're interested! :-)

      Delete
  5. I love the use of denim in this bag. You are going to be running in style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Rag Bag! Whoop whoop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bag with so many uses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. $60,000.00 Swag Bag? For that amount, there better be new car included!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great bag. I am sure cotton piping will be softer. Your colors are perfect.

    I have never heard of a Ragnar. A few years ago my sons (3 of them) and 3 other runners formed a team for a half day. In that they ran a 5K loop each time. Had to stay in order. For the last half hour they ran 800 meter sprints. By then there were only three left running.

    It was fun and painful to watch.

    Good luck in your Ragnar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, if your boys still run you should tell them to look for a Ragnar. I ran (with a team) from Miami to Key West in January (my first Ragnar) and can't wait to run my second one in September from Saratoga Springs to Lake Placid (New York).

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great idea. My husband and his friends are running from Gonzales to Houston Tx as I write. This would be a great gift for him and I think I will work on one just as soon as I finish his running tshirt quilt from college.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job! Love all the pockets and little details! :o)

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~